At the core of each library management system, Koha being no exception, reside the esteemed patron cards. These cards embody an exquisite emblem of the patrons' affiliation with their beloved library.This comprehensive guide will teach you how to create Koha membership patron cards. It will explain the elements that make up the card, the steps involved in creating it, and how to incorporate necessary information, such as library logos, patron names, and member numbers.
What are Koha Membership Patron Cards?
The Koha ILS features patron cards for library membership management. Libraries can create and manage these cards, which identify and grant access to resources and services. The Koha membership patron card has several functional elements, such as:
- Library logo
- Patron name
- Membership number
- Expiry date
Each element serves a unique purpose and contributes to the overall functionality of the card.
How to create Koha membership patroncCards
Creating Koha membership patron cards is a methodical process that involves the following steps:
- Step 1: Launch the Koha Library Software and navigate to the patron card creator module within the staff client interface.
- Step 2: Choose the appropriate template for your patron card from the available options or create a new one.
- Step 3: Tailor the card design to align with your library's branding and requirements. You can modify font styles, font sizes, and colors, and incorporate images.
Adding Patron Information to Koha
Once you have created your Koha membership patron card, you will need to add patron information. This information includes:
- Patron name
- Contact information
- Membership number
To add this information to Koha, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Open the Koha software and navigate to the patron management module.
- Step 2: Click on "Add Patron" and enter the patron's information.
- Step 3: Assign a membership number to the patron.
- Step 4: Save the patron information to Koha.
Printing and Distributing Koha Membership Patron Cards
The production and dissemination of Koha membership patron cards are integral components of the overall procedure. Here's how you can effectively accomplish these tasks:
- Print a sample card to check for any errors or misalignments.
- Make any necessary adjustments to the design or data mapping before printing the full batch.
Print patron cards
- Load the card stock or PVC cards into the printer.
- Adjust the printer settings, such as card size, print quality, and color settings.
- Print the cards using the finalized design and data.
Laminate cards (Optional)
- If using cardstock or if additional protection is desired, laminate the printed cards.
- Trim the laminated cards, if necessary, to remove any excess laminate material.
Distribute patron cards
- Sort the cards alphabetically, by patron ID, or other preferred methods.
- Distribute the cards to patrons in person, by mail, or through other chosen methods.
- Update the Koha to indicate that patrons have received their cards.
Inform patrons about card usage
- Provide patrons with information on card usage, such as borrowing materials, accessing library services, and card replacement policies.
- Offer assistance to patrons who may have questions or concerns about their new cards.
- Keep a record of all printed and distributed patron cards.
- Regularly update the Koha LMS with any changes or updates to the patron's information.
Best Practices for Creating Membership Patron Cards in Koha
Ensure the cards are effective and efficient by implementing a few practices. These best practices include the following:
- Using a clean and simple design that is easy to read and understand.
- Including only relevant information on the membership patron card.
- Using high-quality materials for printing the membership patron cards.
- Ensuring that the barcode or QR code is scannable.
Troubleshooting Common Issues
Sometimes, libraries may encounter issues creating membership patron cards in Koha library software. The most common problems include the following:
- Poor quality printing
- Barcode or QR code not scannable
- Design elements not showing up on the card
- Incorrect information on the card
To resolve these issues, check the printer settings, ensure that the barcode or QR code is scannable, check the HTML and CSS code for errors, and verify the information on the card.
Creating membership patron cards in Koha is a breeze. From slick cataloging features and customization options to intuitive design elements, Koha has it all. Just follow this guide and you'll be churning out patron cards in no time. Plus, we've got your back with awesome installation, upgrade, and support for Koha. So, follow the steps provided in this article, and you'll be able to make yourself and your friends some sweet membership cards they'll love.
If you are interested in learning more about Koha and how it can help your library, contact us today for a consultation.